(For three Sunday nights leading up to Easter I am teaching a series on “How To Get People To Jesus On Easter Sunday.” Join us at 5:30pm beginning February 28th.)
We are quickly approaching one of four major weekends in our church calendar year. In fact, I believe it’s the greatest evangelistic opportunity for every follower of Jesus Christ – Easter Sunday! It’s been often said that the four most likely opportunities for a Christian to get an unbeliever to attend church is (1) a wedding, (2) a funeral, (3) Christmas, and (4) Easter. A Gallup Poll (2014) even stated that 51% of Americans will plan to attend church somewhere on Easter.
Now, without question we believe in the power of the resurrection. We believe that if our unsaved friends and family will hear the true message of Jesus Christ and His resurrection it can transform their life. That’s why on Easter Sunday I will be preaching a clear gospel message centered on the resurrection. My sermon will come from one simple verse – Romans 10:9, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” That’s the message of Easter, and I cannot wait to preach it!!
So, we have a responsibility – to get as many as we can to hear the gospel on Easter Sunday. We can do this if we are determined to do so! Jesus said (John 9:4), “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day; the night cometh, when no man can work.”
I want to challenge our church to, with urgency, recognize our responsibility from our Heavenly Father and take the opportunity to get people to Jesus on Easter Sunday. We will not see our family, neighbors, co-workers, and friends come to Jesus this Easter unless we are determined to get them to hear the true message of the gospel.
I want to challenge you to consider these 5 things as you determine to get people to Jesus this Easter:
1. PICK UP EASTER INVITATIONS AND DETERMINE TO INVITE SOMEONE EVERY DAY THE NEXT 30 DAYS TO EASTER SERVICES. Keep these invitations in your pocket and in your car, and with every opportunity determine to invite anyone and everyone. Determine, with God’s help, I won’t let a day go by the next 30 days without inviting at least 1 to be my guest on Easter Sunday.
2. COMMIT TO ATTENDING THE SPECIAL OUTREACH TIMES WITH OUR CHURCH FAMILY THIS MONTH. There are a several opportunities available for you to get involved:
- REACH – Saturday, March 5th at 9:30am (breakfast before) & Saturday, March 26th 10:00am (lunch afterwards). Sign up for these opportunities.
- DOOR HANGERS – Every Friday in the month of March join our church staff from 11:0am to 12:00pm as we place door hangers on the homes in our community.
3. USE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PROFILES AND PAGES TO PROMOTE #EasterAtLaurel. The best way to do this is to go to our website or twitter/Facebook pages and use the Easter Sunday graphics already available. Change your profiles, banner headers, and take the opportunity to invite, invite, invite all your contacts to Easter Sunday. Use the hashtag #EasterAtLaurel to generate engaged interest (😜 Every time I see a Plexus post I’m going to invite someone to #EasterAtLaurel on social media).
4. PLACE THE PROVIDED YARD SIGNS IN YOUR FRONT LAWNS TO INVITE NEIGHBORS TO EASTER SUNDAY. These are made available at the church and you can order them through our church website or call the church office. For only $10 you can post this yard sign in your front yard.
5. MAKE A “GUEST LIST” AND WORK THAT LIST THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS. Just like you would if you were having a dinner party, make a guest list of people you’d like to see attend Easter services with you. As you make the guest list call them, text them, email them. Take them out to lunch or for a cup of coffee to personally invite them to be your guest. Consider, as many do, having your guests over for Easter lunch or a breakfast prior to the service for being your guest. Be creative. Think of warm, thoughtful ways to get your unsaved friends to be in church with you on Easter.
Think about it this way. 82% of unchurched people are likely to attend church if invited (Rainer). If the majority of Americans are going to attend church somewhere this Easter, then why not here? Why not Laurel Baptist – a place you know they will gave the gospel preached and the opportunity to make a decision for Christ? Don’t underestimate the power of a perusal invitation!