I’ve been preaching from my iPad for a couple years now. I love it! It’s convenient, saves on paper, and is stored in one database for wherever I’m traveling and speaking. I’m often asked what my process is from organizing my sermon notes to delivering the message from the iPad. So, here are a few thoughts to help you if you’re considering trying this new method for teaching & preaching.
DOWNLOAD A FEW IMPORTANT APPS ON YOUR IPAD.
- Dropbox – this is the app I use to get my notes from my computer to the iPad.
- GoodReader – this .pdf reader is what I will open my notes in for editing and preaching.
- Pages – if you desire to have a word processor on your device directly.
PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENT TO BE READ FROM THE IPAD.
- Choose a font type and size that is readable from your tablet device (i.e. Times New Roman 16pt).
- Format the sermon notes in portrait orientation.
- Save or export the document as a .pdf.
GETTING YOUR NOTES ONTO THE IPAD.
- Once your notes have been finalized then save the document or export the document into dropbox as a .pdf.
- Go to dropbox on your iPad and choose to open the document in GoodReader.
- GoodReader is a great app for reading and editing a .pdf document. Make sure you lock the notes (bottom right hand corner) so the orientation doesn’t rotate mid-sermon.
- GoodReader also gives you the option for annotation. I love using this to highlight, add notes, and change remarks during my study.
- Take advantage of the folder system. Sermons or lessons that I teach when traveling are organized in this system so that I always have them no matter where I am.
FINAL REMINDERS ABOUT YOUR IPAD
- Turn off the auto-lock feature on your iPad. If you don’t, this could really mess you up mid-sermon.
- Make sure your iPad is at 75% charge before you deliver the message – to be on the safe side!
- Adjust your brightness in relation to the room lighting. Occasionally it produces a glow around my face!
Now, you’re ready to go! Enjoy using this wonderful technological advancement to make organizing your notes and delivering your messages easier.