Psalm 105:1 says, “O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.” On this special Thanksgiving Day I want to make known His deeds and give thanks for His mighty works. There’s no way we could ever thank enough or begin to describe all that He does for us, but let me take a few moments to share a few things I’m thankful for today…
1. I’m thankful for eternal salvation.
Think of it! The salvation God has imputed into our lives is something that is eternal. It can never be lost, taken away, or given up. I’m so glad that God’s redemption plan for mankind is not contingent upon me, but is completely a divine work of God. Salvation is eternal! For this, I am thankful.
2. I’m thankful for the leading of God.
Isaiah 58:11 is one of my favorite verses of the Bible, “And the Lord shall guide thee continually.” Praise the Lord for His guidance and leading. My Lord knows the way through the wilderness, all I have to do is follow! I’m beyond grateful the Lord is leading me.
3. I’m thankful for my wonderful family.
I could park here a while, but I cannot give gratitude in any setting without thanking God for my family. They are the most important thing to me. I praise the Lord for the wonderful family He has given us.
- My Wife, Kathleen – she is loving, supportive, godly, faithful, sweet, gifted, and good looking! She makes me a better person, Christian, parent, and pastor. I love her!
- My children – Kate is the apple of my eye, and I’m thankful the Lord has chosen to bless us with a son to arrive soon!
- My parents – I’m thankful for their love for me and each other, their involvement in our lives, how they love my wife and children, their encouragement in the ministry, their discipline as a child (yes, even that!), their teaching moments, etc. The list could go on! I am blessed.
- My brother & sister – He is my best friend, my right hand man, my balancer in ministry. What a joy to be a co-laborers with him in the work of God. And my sister. I’m so proud of her and thankful for what God is doing in her life. I’m incredibly thankful for unbelievable siblings.
- My in-laws – Is this possible? Yes, I’m grateful for the family the Lord allowed me to marry into; a family very much like my own. God has been good!
4. I’m thankful for my local church.
As I type this sentence my mind is rushing through a million things right now that I could say about the people I love so dearly. I wish people knew how blessed I am as a pastor to lead the greatest group of people on earth. God is doing an amazing work through Laurel Baptist Church, and what a privilege to labor together with my church family. They are a tremendous blessing to me on a daily basis. Even last night I received this message:
In the spirit of Thanksgiving and in light of all the wonderful preaching from the Missions Conference, I just wanted you to know how thankful I am for you and for all you do to serve God and His church. I thank God everyday for you and I want you to know that my family and I are very blessed and thankful to be a part of such a wonderful congregation of believers and spirit filled leaders. We love you all so much.
Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to pastor such wonderful people. They are are more than a membership…they are family. Family I would do anything for and many of them would do anything for me. What a joy to be a part of something so special in Charlotte. I am humbly grateful!
This is just a small, small sample of what I am thankful for today. I hope you will take the time to sing praises to God and express thanksgiving to blessings God has brought in your life. “O give thanks unto the Lord for he is good!”